As we make our way through November, we are only a little over a week away from America’s largest shopping event: Black Friday. While there are a few interpretations of this name, a common one is derived from the day’s ability to put retailers back into “the black” when it comes to their income and expense reports. However, with so many companies embracing online retail channels, how much longer will the experience of line-camping, hoards, and violent accidents be needed?
Black Friday Online vs. In-Store
While I’ll never come to understand them, there is obviously a massive demographic of American shoppers who insist on shopping in-store on Black Friday. There are a few reasons for this. Mainly, these customers are trying to get access to specific deals that are only available in-store.
But at what cost? Last year there were a few people who sustained significant injuries as a result of rough-housing, trampling, or down-right fist-fighting when doors opened at various physical stores.
What if I told you there was a different way? While many Americans don’t seem to propagating this fact, on Black Friday, there are still thousands of great deals that can be found online too! Not only this, but there is also a much wider selection of products to choose from.
When you online shop, you have access to the inventory of not just your local store, but all stores. Better yet, these stores will have discounted items too, so you can take advantage of this shopping holiday!
Other advantages of doing this year’s Black Friday online
- Ratings, Reviews, and Product Comparisons. When shopping online, you’re able to make use of some really convenient tools that simply aren’t available in store. Online, you can instantly compare products and prices on various sites. Not to mention you have access to thousands of reviews on what you’re about to buy.
- Avoiding the Sales Tax. While some don’t always realize it, when you order online, you can completely avoid being charged additional sales tax. However, this depends on the state you live in.
- Free Shipping. And this one speaks for itself. When you use sites like Amazon, you’ll be able to enjoy free shipping in many cases. On Black Friday, this benefit will be available on other shopping sites, not just Amazon, too.
It’s important to note that these aren’t just great assets customers, but obviously for the growth of retailers’ online sales channels as well. This is reflected by the notion that in the last few years, online sales have continued to grow during this holiday. In fact, just last year retailers totaled $5 billion in online sales during Black Friday.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that this trend continues, it would save us all a lot of time and energy on Black Friday. Not to mention we would no longer have to pay for karate lessons to get us through the crowds in one piece.
What to expect online on Black Friday
If you still need further convincing that this year’s Black Friday online shopping experience will be worthwhile, here are some good things to consider:
Black Friday Online Deals at Amazon
- Deals on Black Friday weekend, but also during the week leading up to it. Keep an eye out!
- As usual, Lightning Deals that can be added to your virtual cart, re-creating the classic “rush” experience of Black Friday.
Black Friday Online Deals at Walmart
- Free 2-day shipping on carts of $35 and above.
- $300+ Walmart Gift Cards when you activate new smartphones from either Apple or Samsung.
- 55-inch flat screen TVs at $200.
What’s the deal on Black Friday shipping?
Just so you have it listed all in one place, here is a ranking of the best shipping policies for the big day:
- Target: Free 2-day shipping on all orders, not just on Black Friday, but throughout the entire Holiday season!
- Best Buy: Slower delivery, but all orders will be free shipping!
- Walmart: Free 2-day shipping on orders of $35 or more.
- Amazon: non-Amazon prime members will have to tally up orders of $25 or more. This shouldn’t be hard at all on Black Friday. Of course, you could always do their 30-day free trial for free 2-day shipping!
With all of the above in mind, I hope you feel more empowered to snag these deals, while also staying bruise-free during this year’s Black Friday rush.
Put power behind your retail
Luminos Labs has helped a number of retailers transform their shopping experiences online. For this reason, we’re always staying on top of the latest retail trends and news to make our clients stay as competitive as possible.
Is your business gearing up for a big shift in e-commerce strategy? Looking to move from an on-premise e-commerce solution to a flexible and powerful platform? Luminos is here to help. Our team of experts works 24/7 to provide you with the smoothest implementation and most reliable maintenance when it comes to your e-commerce platform and experience.
We’re always interested in doing the best for our clients, and we’ve helped many achieve increases in average order value, some by as much as 22%! If you’re looking for help with e-commerce implementation, Azure cloud services, or general digital strategy, please don’t hesitate to reach out.